Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Starting the literature review

I'm starting to write the draft for my literature review and I have found usefull to write few paragraphs to explain where I'm going with this project and how the literature review fits into the my research project. In the final version this will be part of the introduction, which will be the last section I will write. This is part of what I have written so far:

During the two terms of President Bush administration government secrecy has became a continuum topic that has raised questions even on the foundations of the country. Just as the moment I’m writing this paper, there’s a clash between the White House and Congress asking White House top officials to testify about the firings of U.S. attorneys, an investigation that relies also in the release of documents. While critics have been warning about the damage that secrecy does to democratic governments, supporters defend secrecy on the ground of the so-called “war on terror,” and the argument that the attacks on September 11 2001 “changed everything.”

This period of time calls for a better understanding on the concept of government secrecy, which should be studied from three different perspectives: historical background, theoretical framework, and a qualitative analysis of how this issue is viewed from the general public perspective. In this paper, the first two perspectives will be discussed in the literature review. Because the third perspective is broad and researcher can utilize a variety of approaches, I will concentrate on applying discourse analysis and content analysis to study the concept of government secrecy from the perspective of the press. As part of this analysis, I will apply the theoretical framework discussed in the literature review.

In terms of the data, I have been able to gather a good amount of articles from the Washington Times. A also found articles from other conservative periodicals like The Weekly Standard and Human Events. However, there are not many articles about secrecy from these publications, compared to the "liberal" newspapers like NY Times and Washington Post.

No comments: